- "The only real reason to buy this iteration of the game is as a last resort if you missed it on the consoles or if you're a die-hard fan. With the recent release of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, the clunky and difficult controls of Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D are hard to justify. If you're looking for a title to expand your 3DS library, Snake Eater 3D's story will keep you interested for hours. Likewise, if you're a fan of the franchise, you'll want to pick this iteration up, if only just to have it on your shelf. Otherwise, if you're looking to experience Snake Eater for the first time or want an updated version of the original, you're better off with the HD collection."
- "In many respects, Snake Eater is the perfect Metal Gear Solid title. It takes the core mechanics of the franchise and twists them, making for a far more tense and savage experience that focuses on nature and the environment over hiding behind walls and watching a radar screen. Likewise the game's story and characters are expertly crafted, in some ways topping what the original MGS entry did so well. The addition of touch screen commands and menus, plus the improvements to the overall control scheme, are certainly welcome, making an older game play reasonably well almost a decade later."
- "Snake Eater 3D is an excellent treatment of a justifiable classic. The story and characters hold up nearly a decade after their introduction, and the improvements to stealth mechanics enhance the entire experience. It's modern enough to appeal to a new audience, and the improvements should draw a lot of series veterans back into the jungle. The 3D is some of the best on the system so far, and the mature tone is a welcome addition to the family-friendly nature that permeates Nintendo's catalog. The game even makes excellent use of the 3DS hardware while avoiding the perils of tacking on new features for the sake of variety. It's an incredibly successful upgrade to an already fantastic game and is easily one of the best games available for the 3DS to date."
- "I’m not saying that Snake Eater is an inferior game; it’s my favorite in the series. However, this version is only worthwhile for people who have no other choice. Even then, with the $40 you’d spend on Snake Eater 3D, you could probably buy an old PS2 and the original game, or the HD Collection on 360 and PS3. If you want the real Snake Eater experience, those are far better options."
Cheat Code Central
- "The whole experience of playing Snake Eater 3D is one that proves that handheld gaming isn't dead, and is instead adapting to new markets. Snake Eater 3D is doing things on the 3DS platform that haven't been done before, and I hope this is a trend that continues. There's a longstanding idea in the gaming industry that no one can develop for Nintendo platforms better than Nintendo, but this game definitely defies that notion. Snake Eater 3D is easily one of the top games for the system, and even if you've never played a Metal Gear Solid game before, Snake Eater 3D is one that is easy to jump into for a newbie."